Job Seekers, Sign In
Associate Director For Service Learning And Communication - 514302 Sl Volunteer And Service Learn « Position Deleted on 4/10/2013 »
|Institution:||East Carolina University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsJob Description: The Division of Student Affairs actively supports the University's missions of education, research, and service by providing comprehensive programs and services to assist each student in developing intellectually, socially, morally, and culturally.
Under the Division of Student Affairs, the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center (VSLC) at East Carolina University, in partnership with local, regional, and international communities, seeks to foster an environment where individuals learn about themselves and their community, take action through service, and advocate for lasting social change.
The Associate Director for Service-Learning and Communications supports integrative learning experiences through effective planning, implementation and assessment of current initiatives and develops additional experiences that foster community engagement and responsible citizenship. This is a professional position with responsibilities having a direct impact on the quality of students' educational experiences and interaction with their peers, as well as the campus community at large. Additionally, this position requires a strong knowledge of budgetary practices and risk management; independent decision making and critical thinking skills are necessary.
Working as part of the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center (VSLC) team, this position coordinates course-based service-learning efforts as well as internal and external marketing for the office. This position serves as the main point of contact for students, faculty, and community partners involved in service-learning courses. Works with VSLC Director to develop faculty involvement in service-learning and offers assistance with course development. Serves as a primary liaison between campus and community-based organizations working to identify, build, and maintain transformative campus-community partnerships. Has primary responsibility for all service-learning community partnerships. Has oversight responsibility for service-learning course assessments, web site, and database management. Strengthens existing partnerships through community development workshops and needs assessments. Participates fully in the activities of the VSLC and other duties as requested by the Director.
- Work with faculty and community partners through individual consultations to establish appropriate service-learning sites for service-learning courses at ECU; Support faculty to ensure communication of logistics and relevant information on service-learning sites through in-class presentations and/or individual consultations with service-learning faculty members.
- Work closely with appropriate faculty members to recruit, train, and supervise Service-Learning Associate student interns.
- Serve as the main convener of the VSLC's Community Advisory Board
- Manage all VSLC official communications and marketing efforts, including social media tools, print materials, web page.
- Oversee VSLC's community partner selection process, including managing ongoing evaluation and assessment of partnerships.
- Promote service-learning by offering orientations to new faculty, departments and other participants in various ECU colleges and programs.
- Assist with training faculty to integrate service-learning into their courses, providing workshops, consultation, and access to regional and national conference opportunities.
- Serve as main organizer of an annual, campus-wide service-learning conference/faculty institute in collaboration with the university's service-learning committee.
- Work with Director to ensure appropriate recognition of both service-learning faculty and community partners for their efforts on behalf of service-learning.
- Keep current with service-learning theory, methods and initiatives.
- Work as part of team to advance the mission of the VSLC and Student Affairs.
- Master's degree in related field required (education, higher education administration, college student personnel administration, social work, or other relevant area of study).
- Minimum of three years of experience in a higher education setting working directly with students, preferably coordinating community service and/or experiential learning programs.
- Experience working with faculty in higher education to integrate service-learning in the curriculum.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with community agencies, students, and faculty.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups, including experience with multicultural education.
- Experience working with university students, particularly through the facilitation of structured reflection.
- Commitment to communicating tenets of VSLC mission statement and learning outcomes, especially as they relate to service, community outreach, and social justice.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and project management skills.
- Ability to choose priorities among competing demands.
- Ability/willingness to work some nights/weekends, commitment to teamwork and collaboration.
In addition, each candidate should arrange to have a minimum of three letters of reference that speak directly to the candidate's qualifications for this position submitted to the Chair of the search committee at the address indicated below:
Dr. Melissa Haithcox-Dennis
Belk 3205 Department of Health Education and Promotion
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858
Additionally, original official transcripts, as well as a criminal background check, will be required upon offer of employment.
East Carolina University seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. In order to promote the university's diversity goal, Student Affairs strongly encourages applicants from women, minorities, and historically underrepresented groups.
Date Initial Screening Begins: 12/27/2012
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: commensurate with qualifications
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action University and accommodates individuals with disabilities. Proper documentation of identity and employability is required at the time of employment.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.