Position Deleted on 2/16/2013. This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs.
Executive - Deans - Communications
College of Mass Communication and Media Arts
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Southern Illinois University Carbondale invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts. The Dean is the chief administrative and academic officer of the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts and reports to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The successful candidate is expected to bring a vision for the future which will inspire his/her colleagues to pursue a higher standard of excellence for teaching and scholarship. S/he should also encourage and lead the faculty, students, and staff to greater academic excellence.
The College of Mass Communication and Media Arts at SIU Carbondale offers undergraduate programs in Cinema and Photography, Journalism, and Radio and TV, as well as graduate programs through the doctorate. The College has 47 full-time faculty members, over 792 undergraduate students, and 128 graduate students. The College also houses WSIU Public Broadcasting, which operates PBS and NPR member stations, and the Global Media Research Center, which provides a site for international media artists, scholars, activists, and policy makers to collaborate. Additional information regarding the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts is available at http://mcma.siu.edu/
SIU Carbondale is a Research University: High Research Activity, as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. With an enrollment of 18,847 students we offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in eight colleges, as well as a school of Medicine and a School of Law. We also offer distance education and off-campus degree programs across the country and at 21 military bases.
The Dean's primary roles are centered around academic and development matters, particularly:
- enhance and support quality academic programs and research,
- strategic planning and budgeting,
- develop a culture of degree completion through coordinated student, recruitment and retention efforts, including attention towards enhancement of SIU Carbondale's tradition of successfully educating minority, international, first-generation students, and students with disabilities,
- faculty recruitment, and staff development,
- fostering strong graduate programs, and
- resource enhancement through fundraising and an increase in external grants.
The successful candidate must possess an earned terminal graduate degree in an appropriate discipline in the College; an outstanding publication record and an extensive record of success in securing external funding; a distinguished record of teaching, research, and service consistent with the expectations of a tenured Professor at a Research University: High Research Activity; academic administrative experience and leadership skills at the level of department chair or other academic leadership position of similar responsibility; experience in budget, planning, personnel, student matters, promotion and tenure review, program reviews or specialized accreditations. Applicants must also demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills; the ability to articulate effectively the College's mission to students, faculty, alumni, external funding agencies, and other decision-making bodies; demonstrated ability to develop and sustain collegial and productive relationships with on- and off-campus constituencies, funding sources, and fundraising sources on behalf of the College; and a commitment to high standards in education, cultural diversity, and equal opportunity.
This is a security sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation that includes a criminal background check.
RESPONSIBILITIES (not in priority order)
The Dean will:
- Serve as an officer of the University with a commitment to the goals and aspirations of SIU Carbondale, as set forth under the leadership of the Chancellor.
- Serve as a member of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Deans' Council.
- In a spirit of shared governance, conduct the affairs of the College in accordance with all relevant State statutes, the directives of the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the Statutes and Bylaws of the SIU Board of Trustees, fiscal and administrative policies of the University under the leadership of the Chancellor and direct supervision of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and in conformity with the College's Operating Paper, the SIU Carbondale Employees Handbook, and all relevant contracts between the SIU Board of Trustees and any union associations.
- Represent the college's interests and perspectives while serving as official spokesperson between the College and other units within the University, as well as with off-campus constituencies.
- Enhance and inspire an academic climate that will foster excellence in teaching, externally-funded research, and scholarly activity, including intellectual property development, and service.
- Facilitate the implementation of the College's mission, vision, goals, and strategies to focus resources; and mobilize faculty, students, and external groups to achieve high performance.
- Work closely with the Executive Director of Broadcasting Services to assist WSIU in meeting a public service mission and aid in securing adequate funding for the operation.
- Allocate resources in the most effective way that supports the goal of academic excellence. Specifically, the Dean will develop, review, and approve all academic planning, departmental budgets, and fiscal plans, their incorporation into a College budget, and the implementation of programs within the approved budget framework.
- Provide leadership in personnel actions relating to recruitment, salary recommendations, appointment, retention, tenure, and retirement, as well as suspension, termination, and related actions for faculty, administrative staff, and support staff with the concurrence of the appropriate units or bodies of the College, in accordance with the University's principles of affirmative action and equal opportunity.
- Meet or assign a designee to meet annually with all tenure-track faculty for the purposes of performance evaluation. Initiate three (3) year reviews of academic Chairs and Directors.
- Identify, cultivate, involve, and solicit the community, alumni, and friends of the university in developing and sustaining an active external fundraising program. (For more information on the SIU Foundation, visit http://www.siuf.org/.) Develop external support and funding from industry and governmental agencies.
- Provide the impetus for excellence in undergraduate and graduate academic programming in the College, including the development of new and expanded programs and modifications of existing programs, where appropriate and feasible.
- Develop and supervise programs for the recruitment, retention, advisement, and placement of a diverse body of undergraduate and graduate students in the College. Involve alumni and friends in joint problem solving, placement of students, and the development of internships.
- Respond promptly to the needs of students.
- Communicate with the faculty and staff of the College, taking measures to assure that all are informed as to the status, progress, and organization of the College. Provide effective communication among the various departmental and research centers within the College, between the College and the Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Chancellor's Office, and between the College and the broader University.
- Cultivate leadership of faculty and staff.
- Participate in program reviews and guide specialized accreditations. Ensure that undergraduate and graduate programs conform to and, where appropriate, exceed the standards of accrediting agencies for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral programs in the College.
- Encourage and support the development of online courses and joint degree programs with other collegial units on campus.
- Initiate and coordinate the upgrading of the technical infrastructure, including computers, software, networks, and ancillary equipment in the classrooms and staff and faculty offices.
- Supervise and enhance an administrative network for the implementation of policies formulated within the College.
- Foster a commitment to diversity and an environment that advances the institution's policies on inclusive excellence and intolerance of discrimination.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received in the Provost's Office by close of business (4:30 pm) January 15, 2013. Review of applications will begin immediately following the deadline for applications.
Application Procedure: Applications must include a letter of application addressing qualifications, a current curriculum vita, a personal vision statement for the position, and the name, address, phone number, and email address for five references. Send nominations, inquiries, and applications to:
Dean, College of Mass Communication and Media Arts Search
Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
Attn: Melba Ziegler
Anthony Hall, Room 125
Mail Code 4305
1265 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
Email: http://email@example.com/ . Electronic submissions are preferred.
SIU Carbondale is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.