Infrastructure Integration Analyst - CITES (A1200641)
Position Deleted on 1/08/2013. This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs.
Admin - Computing - Other
Infrastructure Integration Analyst
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES) is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
CITES has an opening for an Infrastructure Integration Analyst who will design and implements data center policy for power distribution, cooling distribution, network distribution, firewall and remote access to the machine room. Additionally, the incumbent will design and implement system monitors and application probes. Scope includes responsibility for 300-500 individual technologies including SAN, storage, tape backup, network routers and switches.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as incident commander or operations section chief in accordance with NIMS/ICS during incidents and planned events.
- Analyzes and estimates power consumption and engineers power distribution systems for data center systems.
- Analyzes and estimates cooling requirements and engineers solution for system cooling.
- Research, and evaluate products for present and future data center infrastructure enhancements.
- Research new ways for optimizing the data center infrastructure and provide presentation of findings to the data center management.
- Perform complex troubleshooting on network protocols and connectivity.
- Troubleshoot problems with initial installation, connectivity, and monitor problem occurrence’s and apply resolution on a timely manner.
- Proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve monitoring issues on a timely manner.
- Establish, maintain and manage vendor relations and schedule maintenance for cooling units and Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS).
- Perform global load balancing, install and de-install VMWare.
- Provides customer and client support for collocation of campus systems.
- Supports Linux and Windows servers, databases and network components.
- Performs tape rotations, participates in additional support functions related to data center operations as needed.
- Install and upgrade servers within the data center, including server additions and removals.
- Install, and maintain managed network components, monitor servers to ensure normal operation.
- Perform cables and unused hardware removal, maintain data center orderliness and hardware inventories.
- Perform infrastructure hardware replacement for failed component.
- Perform capacity audit for power and cooling.
- Coordinate installation of hardware for complex projects such as consolidation efforts.
- Develop floor plans which annotate location for equipment placement, cabling, connection points, capacities for power and air-conditioning equipment.
- Assist with management and maintenance of spare data center equipment.
- Keep data center records, diagrams and troubleshooting documentation up to date.
- Solve problems under limited supervision.
- Ensure excellent Customer Service throughout the Data Center team.
- Partners with the University’s Data Center Consolidation Team.
- Partner with the CITES Service Desk by setting and managing the expectations of customers; acting as an advocate for CITES clients in service planning and deployment across the organization; and resolving customer satisfaction issues.
- Works on call in a 24x7 call rotation environment.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or other relevant degree.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years in information technology.
- Minimum 1 year experience in system escalation procedure.
- Ability to work in a 24x7 on call rotation environment for support of data center resources.
- At least two years of experience in infrastructure cablings both copper and fiber optics.
- Hands on experience working in a telecom data center: installing, upgrading, and maintenance of hardware and equipment.
- Knowledge and understanding of DHCP, DNS and networking fundamentals.
- Proven knowledge of Unix/Linux, Windows operating system.
- Scripting and some programming is a big plus and highly desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of Data Center Industry’s Best Practice.
- Knowledge of Visio or Autocad application.
- Knowledge and understanding of data center facilities support systems and data center infrastructure services, including but not limited to HVAC, power, generators, UPS, PDU, fire detection/suppression.
- Knowledge of system escalation procedure.
- Strong knowledge of ITIL/ITSM principles.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Understand the mission, vision and values of CITES, the purpose and function of the majority of CITES groups and their relationship with the university as a whole.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days; health, dental, vision; SURS retirement). Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The starting will be some time after the closing date. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. Applicants should have a current, valid legal authorization to work in the United States.
For full consideration, applications should be received by January 4, 2013. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a combined package of materials in one file – PDF preferred (letter of application, resume, and the names/addresses/telephone/email of three professional references). The online application will require the names and contact information for the three professional references. Employment requires three letters of recommendation and a criminal background check for the finalist. For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer who welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.