Instructor, Music - Tenure Track
Posting Number: 0600933
POSITION: INSTRUCTOR, MUSIC
STATUS: Full Time Tenure Track
DEPARTMENT: Fine Arts
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a standard load. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach music theory to majors.
2. Teach applied woodwinds (flute, clarinet, and saxophone) to majors and non-majors.
3. Teach related general education courses such as Exploration of Music Literature or other related music courses as needed.
4. Interest in performance, both on and off campus.
5. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
6. Be willing to teach online and/or blended courses.
7. Participate in departmental meetings and recruitment activities; serve on committees.
8. Demonstrate a commitment to the use of current and emerging technologies in the classroom as appropriate.
9. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
10. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
11. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
1. Master of Music degree in Woodwinds (Flute, Clarinet, or Saxophone) Performance. Coursework at the graduate level should demonstrate a significant concentration in music theory.
2. Two years of teaching experience at the collegiate level.
3. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
4. Experience in performance.
1. Doctorate Degree in Music.
2. Demonstrate functional keyboard skills.
3. Experience at the community college level.
4. Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
5. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
1. Normal classroom physical demands.
1. Classroom teaching environment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 15, 2013
Apply on-line at http://employment.jjc.edu
Unofficial transcript(s) MUST be attached to your online application.
2 reference letters must be attached to your online application or copies e-mailed ( firstname.lastname@example.org), faxed (815-729-3331) or mailed (Human Resources Dept., Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Rd., Joliet, IL 60431) BY DEADLINE DATE. All required documents must be on file in Human Resources by posting deadline. OFFICIAL transcripts REQUIRED prior to hiring. Bring OFFICIAL transcripts at time of interview.
The Fine Arts Dept.'s Music unit is an integral component of Joliet Junior College, providing excellent opportunities for students to further their education in music. JJC is an accredited member of the National Asso. of Schools of Music since November 2002. The extensive music curriculum includes more than thirty courses including ensembles, applied study, general education, and music technology. Our newly renovated music facility includes state of the art rehearsal rooms, studios, classrooms, and recording studio. Whether your interest is career-oriented or one of self-enrichment, there is a music class to meet your needs. The highly regarded music faculty is committed to providing the best in music education.
Joliet Junior College is committed to a policy of non-discrimination to recruit, hire and promote for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, unfavorable military discharge, or any other unlawful basis in the recruitment selection, or employment of its employees. All employment decisions are based on the qualifications of each individual. No person shall be denied equal treatment on the basis of race, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, unfavorable military discharge or any other unlawful basis in employment practices and policies.