Extension Agent, 4-H Youth Development/Cass County
Location: Fargo, ND
The Extension Agent,4-H Youth Development/Cass County will work collaboratively with a team of Extension and research professionals and volunteers to provide dynamic program leadership for the Cass County Extension program at the .7 appointment level. This position also involves a .3 appointment in the Center for 4-H Youth Development at North Dakota State University and includes creating age-appropriate 4-H curriculum and other programs/events for youth ages 5-18 based on the experiential learning process, inquiry-based learning methods and life skill development. The work will primarily relate to special projects funded with grant and contract funds and involve customizing the youth development experience using a variety of delivery methods. All duties will be accomplished with the support of faculty, staff, volunteers and youth. This position will receive direct supervision from the Southeast District Director.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Provide program leadership, interpret and integrate pertinent research information from social, human and behavioral sciences to teach, deliver and evaluate educational programs with a measurable impact on enhancing the life skills of youth, adults and volunteers.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate 4-H youth development experiences using the club, camping and afterschool delivery methods in partnership with community organizations.
- Develop and implement 4-H member recruitment, volunteer recruitment, training and management systems.
- Build partnerships and collaborate with school districts, local organizations, governmental units and businesses to address issues that affect people throughout their life span.
- Engage in needs and issues identification processes that result in programs based on the needs of county citizens.
- Collaborate with staff at North Dakota State University and throughout the NDSU Extension Service to develop interdisciplinary youth and adult programs.
- Assure compliance with equal opportunity and civil rights policies.
- Participate in professional development experiences offered by the NDSU Extension Service and other entities, as appropriate.
- Perform other assigned duties in support of Extension programming.
- Bachelor's degree in discipline related to position responsibilities and the academic capacity to enroll in a relevant graduate program. Degrees appropriate for this position could include youth development, social and human sciences or other educationally-related fields including agriculture, Extension, education and/or related areas.
- Skills that demonstrate knowledge and application in youth development and the understanding necessary to communicate the knowledge and application of youth development to other subject matter disciplines. This includes the adaptation of curriculum for use in urban settings.
- Professional experience working with youth and volunteers in non-formal educational and urban settings.
- Familiarity with various ethnic and socioeconomic audiences, an interest and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds, and a commitment to the principles of diversity.
- Experience with marketing, public relations and recruitment strategies, including the use of social media strategies to target and specifically work with youth and adults in urban settings.
- Demonstrated skills in securing external funds through grants and contracts for program support and sustainability.
- Program development and educational design skills to assess needs and issues, and develop, deliver and evaluate comprehensive learning experiences that help diverse youth and adult audiences enhance their lives and communities.
- Information and technology skills necessary to reach and teach diverse audiences, work and communicate effectively, manage time and resources, and find, evaluate and disseminate information.
- Communication skills in listening, developing and conveying a clear, concise message appropriate for the audience and for working effectively with others.
- Organizational management skills including the ability to conduct oneself professionally, be self-directed in the work environment, work flexible and extended hours, be comfortable with travel, and manage time and resources to efficiently accomplish the duties of the position.
- Personal vehicle and valid driver's license.
- Master's degree or five or more years of professional experience with programs that reach youth through non-formal educational delivery methods.
- Recent experience in securing grants and contract funds to support educational programming.
- Recent Extension Service experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Screening will begin January 10, 2013 and continue until position is filled.
To ensure full consideration, applicants must have three people familiar with their professional training and/or experience complete and mail the NDSU Extension Service reference form at: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/ext-employees/recruitment/reference_form.doc/view to:
Lorie Herbel, Adm. Asst.
Dept 7061 PO Box 6050
Fargo, ND 58108-6050
Applicants are reminded to provide complete contact information (in their application form) for three additional persons familiar with their professional training and/or experience.
This position is exempt from the North Dakota Veteran's Preference requirements. NDSU is an EO/AA Employer.
***NOTE: The continuation of this position is contingent on the availability of funds to support the program.