Director of Career Services - ILIC
Position Deleted on 1/18/2013. This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs.
Admin - Career Counseling and Placement
|Division||The Art Institutes|
|Minimum Education Required||Bachelor's Degree|
|Location||Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago Chicago, IL 60654, US|
|Travel Required||0 - 20%|
Responsible for managing all aspects of the Career Services Center (CSC), including student success, graduate outcome plans in relation of the target goals set, the development of strong relationships between employers, students and other departments in the college, marketing the School's graduates to national, regional and local firms; meeting; and overseeing all CSC programs and services offered to students, graduates and alumni. Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements
- Meet annual goals for college in both salary and employment for graduates as designated by EDMC.
- Markets school's Career Services program and its student for existing relationships as well as for the development of new employer relationships. Based on the competencies and direction of school and its students, is responsible for making strategic decisions regarding the most desirable corporate relationships to cultivate for maximum graduate employment results.
- Serves on the school's Executive Committee and works with the other members to develop and implement strategies for solidifying and leveraging relationships both internal and external, to support our students in grasping the core competencies of their program and assist students in developing a strong portfolio that promotes their abilities. Work closely with the Dean, Academic Affairs department, and Student Affairs department to ensure desirable outcomes are reached for the students.
- Trains, develops and manages a team of employment advisors (graduate and student), support staff, possible Alumni Coordinators and student assistants. This also includes the planning, supervision and assistance in delivering career programs and workshops (self-assessment, resume writing, interviewing, portfolio development, negotiation, and job search strategies) designed to prepare students for the job market. This includes providing individual career guidance to students seeking jobs.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the office, identifies accountability measures for all Career Services Advisors (CSA's), develops and manages service operations to ensure key constituents (students, graduates, alumni and employers) receive quality service and support. Manage all on-site recruiting activities, and the budget.
Career Services Advisors, Student Employment Advisors, support staff such as an Administrative Assistant and student workers. May manage an Alumni Coordinator if the position exists at that school.
All areas of the school, including admissions, education, and student services to enhance in-school activities and external relationships. Contacts inside the school may include all students and their parents, employees and faculty. Outside contacts are principally with associations, employers, and organizations.
- Bachelor's degree required with a master's degree in a related field desirable.
- Five or more years of strong management experience and/or career counseling experience in a corporate or academic setting.
- Knowledge of the career decision-making and placement processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with range of populations.
- Superior organizational and problem resolution skills.
- Strong basic computer software (MS Office) skills.
- Persuasive sales techniques both over the phone and in person.
- Ability to interact effectively as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to listen to customers (e.g. students, staff, etc.) and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
- Ability to work without close supervision and to set one's own priorities and work schedule.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, monitor and motivate the activities of others.
- Ability to pay attention to details in designing, implementing, and maintaining systems, projects and programs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
The Illinois Institute of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.