Job Seekers, Sign In
Dean of Student Services & Development « Position Deleted on 2/19/2013 »
|Institution:||Elgin Community College|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
Elgin Community College
Dean of Student Services & Development
Dean of Student Services & Development
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
Fulfilling our mission to improve people's lives through learning, Elgin Community College offers more than a vibrant learning environment, high academic standards, and a real educational value. We are proud to provide some of the most satisfying careers in the field of higher education. Make a bright choice for the future of our students-and for the future of your career.
The Dean of Students serves as Chief Student Services Officer of the college and provides vision, leadership, management and direction for programs, projects, faculty, administrators and support staff within the Division of Student Services. Oversight includes: Advisement, Counseling, Transfer, Career Services, Records and Registration, International Student Services, Recruitment and Admissions, Student Orientation, Student Life, Student Judicial System, Standards of Academic Progress, Co-curricular Learning, Athletics and Wellness,Center for Advanced Study, and Chargeback and Joint Agreement Programs. Work collegially and effectively with Financial Aid, Student Accounts and Student Academic Support to build a vibrant student service program through a cycle of planning, assessing, and reworking the organization at the departmental and divisional level and feeding the outcome into the Strategic Planning process. Maintain relationships with president, vice presidents, other deans, board members, the foundation board, program advisory boards, administrative support staff, and partners in business industry, and other educational institutions. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, integrity, excellence, fairness, caring, freedom of inquiry and accountability.
1. Provide employee and student leadership within the College and Student Services & Development division. Oversee the work of various departments in the delivery of student services to ensure that students are welcomed, acclimated and fully ready to complete the educational requirements leading to matriculation.
2. Oversee the functions of Registration and Records Management Department, to include International Student Services, Study Abroad and First Stop student service center. Provide accurate and timely registration and records administration to ensure all student enrollment and records are compliant with established regulations.
3. Provide overall leadership to the College's Enrollment Management Department to provide a wide range of activities that effectively enhance new and continuing student enrollments. Provide overall leadership to the offices of Admissions and Recruitment, Student Life and Orientation.
4. Provide general direction for the Counseling and Career Services functions of the College, to include the career development, veteran's programs problem solving and mental health support on an as needed basis.
5. Oversee the management of two major grant-funded programs (Student Support Services and Upward Bound) to provide educational support for low-income, first generation and disabled students.
6. Oversee the evaluation, supervision, contribution to Professional Development; direct supervision of the counseling department and intercollegiate athletics.
7. Oversee divisional program review and preparation of reports for accrediting agencies and governing boards.
8. Provide fiscal leadership for the division. Develop and manage all division budgets to ensure accurate budget/fiscal reporting in compliance with established College accounting principles and procedures.
9. Oversee the communication of academic program information to division faculty, staff and community. Manage the preparation and distribution of academic College publications, reports and press releases.
10. Oversee the administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements to assure Divisional compliance with College policies and administrative procedures and assist with contract negotiations, ICCB rules and regulations, and State and Federal regulations. Administer the appropriate sections of the approved collective bargaining agreements.
11. Build and maintain relations with ECC Senior Management, board members, administrative and support staff and partners in business, industry, community and other educational institutions.
12. Oversee facilities used in the delivery of Student Services and Development Programs. Request repairs and remodeling as needed.
1. Master's degree (MA) or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Doctorate preferred.
2. Five years of college administrative experience at a senior level within a college or university environment.
3. Three years of experience in Student Services discipline.
4. Experience implementing collective bargaining agreements and negotiating contracts.
5. Strong leadership qualities and counseling skills.
6. Student development theory, leadership theory and practice, motivational skills, communication skills: verbal, written, and computational; financial planning and management skills to support budget development, reporting, management and multicultural competence.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Keen understanding of Higher Education Law, Illinois Community College Statutes, Case Law in Higher Education, FERPA, SEVIS (Homeland Security) Student Rights and Due Process, National Junior College Athletics Association (NJCAA) Regulatons.
9. Ability to manage divisional and departmental budget development including public sector budgeting and auxilliary budgeting detail, understanding of recruitment, hiring and training of faculty, administrators and support staff.
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at: http://jobs.elgin.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=51400
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment/Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.