Job Seekers, Sign In
Faculty - Course Mentor, IT Networks « Position Deleted on 2/03/2013 »
|Institution:||Western Governors University|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsCourse Mentors actively engage students in learning content and respond to student issues in their area of expertise. They will provide academic help to students as requested by using both synchronous and asynchronous technology to communicate with students. This will include, at a minimum, audio chat, instant messaging, threaded discussions, group discussions, and message boards.
Mentors must perform core responsibilities. These include:
- Be available to students during posted office hours as determined by the department. This will generally include some evening and weekend hours.
- Mentor students in effective study practices relevant to the discipline(s) covered in the Courses of Study (COS) and assist students in the use of the related Learning Resources.
- Mentor students in the topics needed to successfully complete the assessments in the COS(s) and provide feedback on assignments as appropriate.
- Work with students assigned to their COS(s) to achieve high success rates as measured by pass rates on assessments and successful completion of the Course of Study.
- Proactively lead sessions to improve student understanding of the key topics and objectives in the COS(s) assigned.
- Provide timely service to students in assigned areas of study through a variety of communication modes, effectively utilizing tools, technologies and resources to foster student engagement.
- Actively and creatively engage students in the learning process.
- Respond effectively to student inquiries about content, exam topics, and other concerns using content knowledge, learning strategies expertise and innovative methods that enhance the learning experience.
- Develop and utilize strategies that effectively address the needs of at-risk students, using creativity and outreach efforts to maximize students access to learning resources.
- Communicate regularly with team partners and managers, leads, and institutional administrators and other stakeholders regarding the CM role and specific areas of responsibility.
- Assist Product Managers in the review and revision of courses of study and learning resources, tools and learning products to create innovative learning tools and resources.
- Work collaboratively to promote a positive work environment that is mutually supportive and provides opportunities for open discussion in an effort to achieve institutional goals that focus on student success.
- Contribute to effective partnerships between Course Mentors, Student Mentors, Managers and WGU stakeholders to improve communications and maximize opportunities for student success.
- Strong customer service orientation and extraordinary communication skills.
- Technologically competent, specifically with online programs, tracking and communication technology.
- A remarkable talent for organization is a requirement.
- Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer.
- Must be able to spend significant time on the telephone.
- Must have good Microsoft Office skills and strong Internet capabilities.
- Must be able to communicate at a high level verbally and in writing.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Experience with integrated technology systems and tools.
- Expertise in the Information Technology field, specifically in one or more of the following areas: networking, database, IT project management, and web design.
- Position works from home, but must be available for travel in support of college requirements.
Master's degree in Information Systems, Computer Information Systems, Networking, Computer Science or a closely related field (doctorate preferred), plus at least three years related professional experience. Extensive experience with wired and wireless network infrastructure including devices such as: routers, switches, hubs, access points and firewalls. Preference will be given to candidates holding one or more of these certifications:
- CompTIA Network +
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Enterprise Administrator
WORK FROM HOME, United States
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people.
We are committed to diversity.
We are committed to diversity.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.