Job Seekers, Sign In
Academic Advisor « Position Deleted on 1/08/2013 »
|Institution:||Kendall College - Chicago|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
We are looking for an Academic Advisor to support our student advising efforts at the Kendall College campus based in downtown Chicago, Illinois. Academic Advisors facilitate student success by defining and implementing proactive strategies that help students stay on track to fulfill their educational goals. Advisors build supportive and personalized relationships with students, manage their day-to-day expectations, and provide them with opportunities to stay connected to our educational community. They advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program and degree requirements, and related academic matters; and work closely with other institutional support teams to ensure that student inquiries are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary guide to ensure that students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
- Connect with new students upon acceptance of admission to ensure overall readiness and escalate outstanding matters that would affect their ability to have a smooth and successful start.
- Assist students in understanding and completing degree requirements.
- Assist students with appropriate course registration.
- Advise students on institutional policies and procedures, program requirements and related academic matters.
- Provide comprehensive outreach to students who are at risk of not meeting satisfactory academic progress.
- Closely monitor students to proactively identify at-risk scenarios and identify opportunities to develop, implement, measure and improve academic success strategies.
- Work closely with institutional staff to ensure that student inquiries are strategically coordinated and addressed in a timely manner, leading to an inspiring student experience while supporting academic integrity and institutional policies.
- Cognitively guide students to develop accountability for their decisions and an understanding of how those decisions impact their success.
- Provide students with proactive guidance on acclimating to their new student lifestyle and building supportive personal environments and best practices to facilitate their student success.
- Empower students to maintain effective connections to the institution and its community of learners.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience working in a service-oriented environment or educational setting.
- Master's degree required.
- Must have a strong commitment to education and have the counseling or coaching skills required to effectively keep students on track.
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to successfully resolve student issues from request through resolution.
- Effectively work with multiple databases and student platforms.
- Skilled at connecting and building rapport with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Creative, innovative, able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
- Familiarity with online learning and/or Internet technology.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.