Job Seekers, Sign In
Associate Director - Study Abroad Office (A1300005) « Position Deleted on 2/06/2013 »
|Institution:||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Notes:||included on Affirmative Action email|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobs
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS AND STUDIES
Student International Academic Affairs/Study Abroad Office
12 month 100% position
Working closely with the Director, the Associate Director develops and provides administrative support for the policies and priorities of Student International Academic Affairs (study abroad). The Associate Director coordinates all managerial tasks in the study abroad office, ensures a smooth flow of communications between the office and colleges, departments, and faculty members across the University and with affiliated programs around the world.
The position reports directly to the Director, Study Abroad Office who reports to the Associate Provost for International Affairs who reports to the Provost.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act and speak for the Director during his/her absence. In collaboration with the Director, engage in any or all of the following activities:
- Advocate for quality engagements with local peoples and cultures for all students participating in educational activities abroad affiliated with the University of Illinois.
- Shaping study abroad office procedures and programs abroad to enhance efficiency and the role in advancing the goals of student learning abroad.
- Ensure smooth coordination of all aspects of recruitment, selection, field support, and the awarding of academic credit.
- Serve as a source of information and guidance on study abroad options, enrollment management, advising, student recruitment, and data management.
- Supervise the day-to-day operation of Student International Academic Affairs (study abroad) including oversight of more than twenty employees including Assistant Directors and Study Abroad Coordinators responsible for specific geographic areas and programs.
- Liaison between students, parents, colleges, departments, and other units prior to, during, and after study abroad.
- Work with affiliate programs and universities abroad to maintain close and cordial relations.
- Travel within the US and abroad to represent the University.
- Lead in the design, organization, and implementation of pre-departure and re-entry orientations.
- Work with faculty and resident directors to promote and develop short term programs abroad and Illinois Field Sites.
- Manage the office and its staff with a creative eye towards restructuring as student, program, and campus needs change.
- Respond to emergency situations abroad and coordinate that response within the broader university community, as necessary.
Required Education, Experience and Abilities:
- M.A. or comparable educational experience.
- A minimum of 5 years' study abroad administration experience or the equivalent.
- Substantial background in international education or in related fields such as student development or student affairs, among others.
- Superior oral communication skills.
- Advanced administrative competence and organizational ability.
- Knowledge of U.S. and foreign educational systems, curricula, procedures and practices.
- Familiarity with the graduate, undergraduate, and professional programs available to study abroad participants.
- Experience supervising a staff of highly motivated professionals.
- Experience as a participant, organizer, and instructor in study abroad programs.
- Ph.D. in a related area and substantial experience in international education. High-level proficiency in a second language.
- A strong interest in student learning and development in cross-cultural settings.
Salary : Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
As soon as possible as possible after the closing date.
In order to ensure full consideration, please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter discussing your interest in this position, resume and contact information for 3 references by February 1, 2013.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
International Programs and Studies
507 E. Green St., Suite 404
Champaign, IL 61820
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.