Associate Web Application/Software Developer 20224
- Admin - Computing - Web Development
- Admin - Computing - Programming/Analyst
About Northwestern University:
Northwestern University is a private research university located on lakefront campuses in both Evanston and downtown Chicago, Illinois. Northwestern was founded in 1851. In fall 2008, Northwestern opened another campus in Doha, Qatar offering bachelor's degrees in journalism and communications in partnership with the Qatar Foundation.
The university employs approximately 7,100 full-time faculty and staff members among its 11 schools and colleges. NU offers over 130 undergraduate programs and 70 graduate and professional programs to the almost 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled full time.
Northwestern University is committed to excellent teaching, innovative research, and the personal and intellectual growth of its students in a diverse academic community.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a career at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal excellence.
Currently, we have a career opportunity as an Associate Web Application/Software Developer.
This critical role:
- Develops the graphic design and user-interface for the department's websites and web applications;
- Assists in the coding of web applications;
- Collaborates closely with the software and media architects of the unit in the development of web applications, and in support of shared polciies and best practices;
- Performs needs assessments to determine user requirements for web sites and applications;
- Maintains and enhances existing web applications;
- Assists with certain system administration tasks in the unit including with servers and desktops;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or related field or a bachelor's degree combined with equivalent computer science experience;
- User interface development skills with HTML, including HTML 5 and CSS;
- Experience prototyping and developing web designs using the Adobe Creative Suite Tools: PhotoShop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver;
- Web design experience using advanced CSS;
- Basic administration of Mac OS X;
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to cooperate and demonstrate teamwork within and outside of development team.
- A master's degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent training and experience;
- At least two years' experience with web-based application programming;
- Demonstrated expertise with common Web 2.0 frameworks: jQuery, Prototype Scriptaculous, Dojo, YUI;
- Programming experience with Python, Ruby, Objective-C, C C++;
- Knowledge of XML and XSLT language standards;
- Experience with WebObjects, J2EE, ColdFusion, or similar application framework;
- Experience with Drupal or similar content management system;
- Experience designing Macromedia Flash animations;
- Experience programming in ActionScript;
- Experience with PostgreSQL and MySQL database administration;
- Administration experience with Windows, UNIX, BSD, and or Linux;
- Experience with 3D modeling and or animation;
- Experience with a Version Control System, such as SVN, Git or CVS.
Beyond being a place to learn and grow professionally, Northwestern is an exciting and fulfilling place to work! Northwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including: competitive compensation; excellent retirement plans; comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage; dependent care match; vacation, sick and holiday pay; professional development opportunities and tuition reimbursement.
Northwestern greatly values work/life balance amongst its employees. Take advantage of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities on campus. Employees also receive access to childcare solutions, retail discounts, and other work/life balance resources.
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes in creating an environment that welcomes students, faculty and staff of all races, nationalities and religions. In doing so, we offer our students the opportunity to learn and grow in diverse communities preparing them for successful careers in an increasingly global and diverse work force.
For consideration, please click on the link below. You will be directed to Northwestern University's electronic recruiting system, eRecruit, where you will search and apply for current openings. To apply for this position in eRecruit, enter the Job Opening ID number in the appropriate search field. Once you apply, you will receive an email confirming submission of your resume. For all resumes received, if there is interest in your candidacy, the human resources recruiter or the department hiring manager will contact you. Job Opening ID number for this position is 20224.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.