Design Department Chair - IADT Las Vegas (15603-139) « Position Deleted on 3/04/2013 »
|Institution:||IADT Las Vegas|
With more than 30 years as an established institution, the International Academy of Design and Technology offers students a hands-on education with experienced faculty dedicated to providing students with the necessary skills, knowledge, support and guidance to pursue fulfilling career opportunities in the design and technology fields.
Provides leadership for all educational activities of the department assuring academic integrity and providing a business perspective. The Department Chair provides academic leadership to faculty at a specified campus in curriculum and instructional practices for a specific portfolio of programs and drives a culture of quality student outcomes. Plans, organizes and directs departmental activities with the objective of creating a positive, customer-oriented environment. Defines and enforces high-quality academic standards and fosters an effective motivational environment to achieve positive educational results for all customers. Creates a positive, customer-oriented learning environment; develops quality, applied educational products; facilitates higher learning in and out of the classroom; oversees the assessment of student learning to improve educational outcomes. Manages day-to-day operations of the department. The Department Chair will work closely with other departments and foster relationships with potential employers and members of the community served by their portfolio of programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Focuses on customer and business needs and prioritizes
opportunities associated with cost reduction and productivity improvement, while maintaining academic integrity.
- Keeps current on
educational trends and identifies opportunities to expand academic portfolio to meet current and future labor needs.
- Will provide
DOE insight into local trends and strategy for academic content for emerging employment opportunities within portfolio of programs.
- Identify strategic alliances through networking, local research and other relevant methods.
Student Retention and Support
- Drive and actively engage in retention activities including documented communication with both students and
administration regarding attendance and progress.
- Assist students with course registration and academic advice and mentor
instructors on effective academic counseling techniques.
- Address student concerns in a timely manner. Identify retention opportunities and work with campus leadership to deploy solutions.
- Select, train,
coach, and evaluate instructors; and maintain the continuity and relevance of the program curriculum by meeting regularly with the
- Orient new instructors with CEC philosophies, teaching materials, techniques, resources with an end result of up each
new instructor for success.
- Observe Instructors to ensure quality of instruction meets our objectives.
- Manage faculty
loading, class scheduling and instructor scheduling ensuring appropriate student/instructor ratio and classroom utilization.
and provides feedback on instructor performance. Conducts periodic performance reviews with each instructor.
- Monitor faculty development needs and provides documentation of faculty development plan and outcomes.
- Oversee the design, development, revision, and assessment of curricula, including course objectives, instructional methods, learning
outcomes, projects, and assessment measures.
- Recommend lab equipment, supplies, library materials, textbooks, and other items for
purchase and use; monitor the safety and quality of instructional materials.
- Chair advisory board meetings at least twice a year
- Manage special projects as formally assigned by their manager (including, but not limited to new student orientation programs and open houses, assistance with accreditation preparation, campus events, and supervision of staff).
- Adhere to and publicly support academic policies and procedures, including but not limited to the faculty handbook and catalog.
- Develop a schedule of course offerings for each term.
- Assure that attendance is taken in every class for each scheduled
- Maintain required documentation of all student and instructor issues.
- Assist in management of department
expenses within limitations of the budget. Participate in the budgeting process; operates within budget constraints.
- Maintain compliance with school, state, and accreditation policies in the areas of instruction, curriculum, student satisfactory academics, and attendance.
- Provide annual documentation of continuing professional
growth in one's field.
- Attend regularly scheduled program meetings, academic in-service workshops, and college-wide faculty
- Work closely with Career Services to develop strong employer relationships that will foster targeted career opportunities
for students and graduates.
- Identifies opportunities for student participation in professional organizations including student
- Interact with community leaders to ensure student participation in community service projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, Competencies:
- Documented expertise, knowledge, and skills in specialty
- Excellent communication skills written, verbal and able to communicate fluidly with all levels at the campus and
- Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word, email, internet etc.
- Decisiveness, flexibility, and an ability
to adapt to an environment of intense growth and change.
- Instructional experience in higher education and/or technical training.
- Ability to develop strong, long-term relationships.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Excellent organizational, time management & prioritization skills.
Education and Experience: Minimum
- Minimum of 2 years of industry experience working in specialty or in a related setting.
- Completion of
an accredited bachelor's degree program recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation is
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative abilities.
- Minimum 3 years of teaching experience in higher education, preferably in for profit sector.
Education and Experience: Preferred
or Doctoral degrees preferred.
- Previous experience as a Program Chair or Academic Leader at a for profit institution.