Job Seekers, Sign In
Professional Speaking Consultant « Position Deleted on 4/26/2013 »
|Institution:||North Carolina Central University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsQuality Enhancement Plan Office
Professional Speaking Consultant
The Professional Speaking Consultant position is an EPA non-faculty instructional position which is located in The Speaking Studio. The Speaking Studio is a branch of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) and Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Mission of the Speaking Studio is to enhance the oral communication skills of students at NCCU across the curriculum. The Professional Speaking Consultant reports to the QEP Director and is managed by the Speaking Studio Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize and coordinate out-of-class/supplemental speech activities for students;
- Design programs and services to help student develop proficient speaking skills;
- Provide speech consultations in one-on-one and small group sessions with QEP students to practice, edit, videotape and upload academic and extracurricular speeches;
- Schedule and conduct student tutorial sessions;
- Ensure continuity of speech services and meet the high QEP student demand;
- Provide speech critique and evaluation to students;
- Perform individual and small group multi-media sessions;
- Videotape and upload QEP students Oral Artifacts;
- Provide online speech tutoring via Skype;
- Assist the speech coordinator in preparing and conducting in-class presentations and campus-wide workshops;
- Maintain social media networking sites, publicizing events and documenting critical data for QEP and SACS purposes;
- Provide speech consultations to all undergraduates, graduate students and faculty members as needed;
- Must maintain a full-time presence in the Studio;
- Some evening and weekend work will be required;
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must demonstrate an excellent command of language (both verbal and written). Exceptional interpersonal skills and, the ability to research and develop speech-related instructional material is a necessity. The speaking consultant must be able to prepare and conduct tutorial sessions relating to speech communication. He/she must demonstrate proficiency with PC and Apple computers. Additionally, the ability to use basic videography and editing equipment is a necessity. He/she must create and conduct engaging presentations relating to speech communication. He/she must demonstrate the ability to evaluate and provide feedback on speech communication.
Required Education and Experience
M.A. in Communication Studies or a related degree with an emphasis on public speaking and/or broadcast media with three years of work experience. Speaking center or professional speech coaching experience is preferred. Experience with Final Cut Pro or Express, videography equipment and social media networking sites (i.e. Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, Instagram, blog sites). Familiarity with diverse learners and students from multicultural backgrounds is ideal. Experience with special needs and/or ESL learners is preferred.
Special note to applicants:
- This position is open until filled with a suitable candidate.
- Screening will commence upon receipt of complete applications.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- No relocation assistance will be provided.
- Applicants with complete applications will receive a confirmation from the Interim Director.
North Carolina Central University, an EEO/AA employer, complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. All new employees must provide original documents verifying identity and employability within the first three (3) days of employment with the University. Accommodations for applicants who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, are available upon request.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.