Instructional Specialist (853-175)
American Public University System (APUS)is a leading provider of relevant, affordable, asynchronous distance learning to more than 60,000 working adults in over 100 countries. Degree programs offered include disciplines related to education, technology, business administration, liberal arts, national security, military studies, intelligence, homeland security and criminal justice. APUS is regionally accredited and is one of the nation's largest providers of higher education to the armed forces.
- Reports To: Senior Vice President, Academic Operations Officer
- Department: Academics
- Location: Charles Town, WV
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Date Posted: January 24, 2013
- Date Closing: Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Instructional Specialist provides quality assurance and process adherence. This position will be an integral team member responsible for reviewing, influencing, and monitoring classroom activities. This position will work independently to identify non-compliance activities and recommend improvement opportunities. This position supports the mission and values to enhance the quality of American Public University System (APUS) online education programs.
- Serves as a point of contact for classroom related student concerns.
- Uses effective research strategies to investigate concerns.
- Employs resolution skills in order to maintain a positive working relationship with Deans, the Vice President, Faculty Management, and Faculty and Program Directors.
- Ensures quality customer service.
- Maintains records of student concerns and resolutions for tracking and reporting.
- Ensures all activities align with the guiding principles and mission of the University.
- Reviews classes to maintain classroom environments conducive to effective learning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Strong MS Word, Excel, and Access skills including experience creating and editing spreadsheets with formulas and manipulating data within reports to extract pertinent information.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and human relations skills.
- Strong technology skills.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and build rapport with students, co-workers, Faculty, Program Directors, and Directors of Faculty.
- Strong problem-solving, critical-thinking, and independent decision-making skills.
- Ability to function as a team player and to work collaboratively and cooperatively in a shared decision-making environment.
- Capability to function independently and initiate appropriate actions and strategies.
- Ability to work successfully with minimal supervision and direction.
- Ability to function effectively in fast-paced work environments through prioritization of multiple, and sometimes conflicting, demands in order to meet established deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter, work proactively, demonstrate flexibility and have the ability to multi-task.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's Degree or ongoing graduate level coursework preferred.
- Online teaching experience preferred.
- Teaching experience in secondary education required.
- Understanding of methodology of teaching.
- Experience working in an office environment required.