Job Seekers, Sign In
Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures « Position Deleted on 5/31/2013 »
|Institution:||Mount St. Mary's University|
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsGENERAL DESCRIPTION:
The Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures reports directly to the Director of Outdoor Adventures and collaborates with Student Affairs and Recreational Services. This position is responsible for assisting the Director with operations including programming, staff training and risk management. This position will have primary responsibility for teambuilding and challenge course operations. The Assistant Director will work collaboratively with the Director and other departments to develop new initiatives linked to Admissions and Advancement. As part of the division of Student Affairs, this program is heavily focused on the experiential education aspect of adventure programming.
1. To provide assistance to the Director of Outdoor Adventures in Student Affairs operations, including:
- Communicate effectively with staff concerning pertinent divisional and University matters.
- Assist in select programs including informal activities and special events.
- Collaborate with other offices throughout the university in running programs that assist all areas in meeting the University's mission.
- Consult, develop and facilitate initiative and teambuilding experiences for a variety of campus groups.
- Coordinate marketing, scheduling, and finances for all teambuilding and challenge course operations, including outreach to non-university organizations.
- Train student leaders to facilitate programs on both high and low ropes course.
- Review and develop policy and procedures.
- Maintain all equipment used for programming.
- Seek advanced certification for self in challenge course operations.
- Develop enrollment-linked initiatives for high school students in cooperation with the Admissions office.
- Develop expeditions for alumni groups in cooperation with the Advancement office.
- Develop a policy manual with standard safety protocols and operating procedures.
- Obtaining accreditation for the program via industry professional associations.
- Work with student leaders to plan and implement open enrollment outdoor adventure trips for the campus community.
- Collaborate with faculty, student groups, and sports teams to tailor adventure trips to meet desired educational objectives.
- Coordinate registrations and information dissemination, manage resource library, and host special events and workshops for Outdoor Adventures.
- Implementing standardized training for all student staff and assist in staff selection process.
Bachelor's degree with Master's degree preferred. Minimum of two years of experience in outdoor adventure programming required, with experience at the college level preferred. Experience with high and low ropes course facilitation required. International travel experience preferred, with leadership experience a plus. Experience with multiple skill disciplines: rock climbing, caving, canoeing, backpacking, challenge course/facilitation, rental shop operations and/or trip leading. Desired certifications include: Wilderness First Responder, LNT Master Trainer, ACA, AMGA, ACCT, etc. Additionally, administrative capacity requires: computer skills, solid written and oral skills, and ability to multitask. Active in professional organizations such as AORE, WEA, AEE, NIRSA, etc. is a plus.
This is a full-time position with full benefits and annual, holiday, and sick leave. Salary is contingent upon experience.
Mount Saint Mary's University is a private co-ed Catholic liberal arts residential college in Maryland, just south of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and approximately one hour from Baltimore and Washington, D.C. The student body consists of approximately 2300 students.
To apply for this position, send your cover letter, resume and three letters of recommendations to the address below. Full consideration will be given to candidates that apply by May 10, 2013.
Barbara R. Miller, PHR, MBA
Director of Human Resources
Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures Search
Mount St. Mary's University
16300 Old Emmitsburg Road
Emmitsburg, Maryland 21727
Applicants may also send resume materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or by faxed to (301) 447-5864. This position will remain opened until filled.
Mount St. Mary's University has a strong commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices; we seek and welcome candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Mount St. Mary's University does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, religion, differently abling condition or national origin. Mount Saint Mary's hires only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized aliens.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.