Director, Enrollment Research and Analysis
- Admin - Admissions and Enrollment
- Admin - Institutional Research and Planning
The Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) at Miami University (Ohio) seeks a thoughtful, creative, and experienced professional to lead its applied research and analysis efforts, informing recruitment, marketing, admission, yield, scholarship, and retention strategies. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management, works closely with the Director of Admission, the Director of Student Financial Assistance, the Director of Enrollment Operations and Communications, University Registrar, and Bursar. The position regularly interacts and works closely with institutional research, business and finance function, and the academic divisions. Primary areas of responsibilities include overseeing the predictive modeling, enrollment reporting, and enrollment research strategy and action agenda.
In particular, the job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as a member of the Enrollment Management Leadership Team responsible for the strategic direction and goal-setting for the OEM.
- Responsible for planning, directing, coordinating, and providing consulting for recruitment and student data projects. This includes trend analysis, forecasting, and providing data sets.
- Serve as a point of contact for internal and external requests for data/statistics.
- Respond to statistical requests accurately and within reasonable timeframe. Assist with conducting admissions validity studies in coordination with external agencies (e.g., ETS, College Board, ACT).
- Direct, supervise, train, and mentor Enrollment Management Research and Analysis staff.
- Manage and oversee the activities and priorities of all third party vendors responsible for assisting with financial aid leveraging and recruitment predictive modeling.
o Create and maintain effective yield models which advise admission and financial aid decisions and provide interval estimates of first-year enrollment.
o Model scholarship-awarding strategies, subject to budgetary constraints and institutional priorities, that enable the university to wisely allocate merit aid.
o Evaluate the impact of university communications, recruitment travel, and admission events on prospect-to-applicant conversion rates and admitted student yield rates.
o Integrate concepts and data from various sources such as institutional databases, College Board, ACT, the National Student Clearinghouse, IPEDS (Integrated Post-Secondary Education Data System), and other national data banks to create analyses that serve the university's enrollment management needs.
o Produce executive-level reports including an annual study of matriculating and non-matriculating admitted students.
o Design appropriate maps, graphs, and tables and oversee their maintenance. Compile dashboards that provide clear, accessible statistics for decision-makers.
o Regularly monitor admission and enrollment data throughout the cycle to detect anomalies that could indicate changes in student behavior.
o Develop and implement research methodologies including:
- Quantitative: identification and design of appropriate quantitative measures and instruments; survey design, deployment and analysis; benchmarking; and statistical modeling.
- Qualitative: interview protocol design, focus group and interview deployment, and qualitative data analysis.
- Quasi-experimental studies to determine program impact and efficacy.
- Attend and present at both regional and national conferences on various enrollment management related topics.
- Serve on data, research, and IT-related campus and system-wide committees.
- Responsible for creating and managing business intelligence, data policies, procedures and standards within OEM. Represent the OEM/AVPEM at meetings and other events as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A master's degree in statistics, math, economics, research-intensive social science field, or related field
- A minimum of five years relevant work experience in higher education and/or closely related field
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative research methodology and data analysis, including logistic regression
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Strong background in applied use of various statistical tools (e.g., SPSS, SAS, SQL, SQR, Access, Excel)
- Experience working with complex files/tables
- Training/experience with relational databases
- Experience using data for strategic planning purposes
- Ability to work quickly, manage multiple projects, and work independently with commitment to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to prepare and present reports based on analysis and to convey technical conclusions to a non-technical audience
- Demonstrated time-management and priority-setting skills
- Broad understanding and current knowledge of enrollment trends, enrollment management, and issues in higher education
For this search, applications will be accepted on-line only and will require a letter of interest, resume, email address and a list with contact information of three references; go to www.miamiujobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=52861. Contact is Christy McClure. Screening of applications begins May 7, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled.