Job Seekers, Sign In
Assistant Director for Multicultural and International Student Programs « Position Deleted on 8/16/2013 »
|Application Due:||Open Until Filled|
This position is no longer an active posting on HigherEdJobsThe Assistant Director for Multicultural and International Student Programs is a full-time staff position within the Office of Multicultural and International Student Programs. This position's primary responsibility is to provide counseling to international students in regard to immigration regulations as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Assistant Responsible Officer (ARO). Responsible for providing outreach, service, events, and educational/cultural programs to the international student community within Hofstra University, this position also develops and coordinates special events for the Office that create a strong sense of community and student development within the international student population at Hofstra.
International Student Programs
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Assistant Responsible Officer (ARO), assisting with all levels of immigration advising - from initial I-20/DS20-19 production to post completion OPT - and communication to USCIS and the Department of Homeland Security through SEVIS.
- Counsel and assist international students with their academic, cultural and social adjustment to the United States.
- Provide holistic transitional support and communication to students enrolling at Hofstra.
- Manage a full range of activities that support the enrollment, retention, status, employment, and travel of international students.
- Update and advise the Director with regard to changes in regulations governing international students.
- Coordinate immigration compliance process and SEVIS/SEVP Recertification process.
- Plan and execute International Student Orientation and other programs that help students develop a sense of community at Hofstra.
- Help manage and maintain departmental website and related social media venues.
- Advise other University offices about issues affecting international students, immigration status, and SEVIS/SEVP policies and procedures.
- Stay active in the professional organizations pertaining to international education, primarily NAFSA: The Association of International Educators.
- Serve as an advisor to graduate and undergraduate student clubs as assigned.
- Assist with the planning and marketing of our six Heritage Months.
- Plan and facilitate workshops and programs related to multicultural and international student issues.
- Coordinate office assessment programs that gauge the overall satisfaction of students and the impact of Office programs and events targeted toward our international student population.
- Assist with the planning of office retreats & staff meetings.
- Assist in the training and supervision of student assistants.
- Serve on the administrative hearing board.
- Assist with campus-wide events, sit on committees, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Occasional work during evenings and weekends are required throughout the year.
- Master's Degree in a related field (e.g., Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Education)
- Experience working with F-1 and J-1 immigration regulations
- Demonstrated precise record keeping and experience in such areas as database maintenance and reporting, and other office technology
- Demonstrates a holistic approach to student counseling and advising
- Experience working in an international student services office at a college or university
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills and the ability to work as a team member with both internal and external constituents
- Strong computer skills, including experience with SEVIS, FSAatlas or Sunapsis, Banner software, Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access, and various social media venues
- Personal or professional experience working with diverse populations or international students or related experiences such as living, working, studying abroad
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident status in order to serve as a Designated School Official
Jenn L. Christ
Director of Multicultural & International Student Programs Office (MISPO)
Mack Student Center, Rm. 242
200 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549-2000
Please submit requested materials by June 5, 2013. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
© Copyright 2015 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.