Research Assistant III Non-Lab
Auto req ID: 33122BR
School/Unit: Harvard School of Public Health
Department: Global Health & Population
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Department of Global Health and Population seeks a Research Assistant with a background in global health or social science who can work as part of a team and contribute to a variety of research projects under the leadership of the PI, Professor David Bloom.
The RA's work porfolio will have heavy emphasis on supporting the Longitudinal Aging Study in India (LASI), one of the largest multi-year studies of aging in Asia. The candidate will work within the PI's research team and with other external collaborators to carry out designated research assignments, including data analysis and writing projects, and will also assist with related administrative and coordination tasks. The candidate will also perform duties outside of LASI, including proposal writing. He/she will be responsible for developing and managing technical components of proposals and projects, and may conduct literature reviews of relevant content areas. He/she will assist with preparation of manuscripts, grant applications, presentations, and reports, and may be required to train others in technical procedures or operations.
Typical duties include:
- Coordinating and carrying out research tasks and projects, using quantitative or qualitative research skills, library research, statistical analysis, field work or other investigative techniques;
- Collecting project data, acquiring it through observation, structured interviews, library research, data processing methods, or other research methods; recording or coding data according to project protocols;
- Processing, organizing and summarizing data, reporting study results using a variety of scientific, word processing, spreadsheet or statistical software applications or program platforms;
- Making periodic reports of project status to supervisor or other research team personnel;
- Contributing to regular team meetings;
- Contributing to the design of studies and projects, including preparation of applications for funding;
- Project coordination of a limited number of research projects;
- Preparing memos on research topics to inform the PI or other members of the research team, utilizing research skills to obtain, synthesize, and cite data;
- Providing research support for courses that the PI teaches;
Two years minimum experience in research or public health (relevant coursework may count toward experience) with demonstrated knowledge of the research process and research methods
Bachelor's degree in a social science, life science, health science, or related field preferred.
Master's degree desired
Proficiency with Microsoft Office required
Knowledge of statistical programs (STATA) and EndNote preferred
Experience living/working in the developing world and/or foreign language proficiency is a plus
A demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects while working effectively under the pressure of last-minute deadlines and changing priorities
Exceptional English verbal and written communications skills
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and across cultures
Ability to travel domestically and internationally
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistant Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join HSPH to support our mission of health research & education and be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Appointment End Date:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.